Hurricane Energy Live Discussion

Live Discuss Polls Ratings
Page

riverside_red 14 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II The term you are looking for is active heave compensation.

Flossoffa 14 Feb 2019

Meantime Whilst we wait to Spring into action, it is worth looking at the big picture: [link] That is of course only part of the story the other bit is how much oil is left to extract and what the cost of the last barrel will be to satisfy that demand (plus a margin for Flofit)

ash6666 14 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II Agreed. Flexibility is king.

Flossoffa 14 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II ash6666: Next opportunity - some time way off in the future. Agreed. We don’t really know what happened on the previous attempts except that the rope first snagged and then broke. But both these failures may both be down to the fact that this massive bouy is being wound into an even more massive ship whilst both are being affected by the ocean swell. The complication is that they are not affected equally; the ship is relatively free to move, but the buoy is anchored to the seabed by both its moorings and the umbilicals. This means that the relatively delicate thread connecting the two has to either stretch to accommodate the mismatch in movement or exert enough force to lock these two giants together. Wire rope will stretch to some extent but as the length of rope reduces, so does the amount of stretch available to accommodate the mismatch. Consequently as the buoy is wound in the load increases as the moorings and umbilicals are lifted from the seabed, but the transient loads due to the relative movement also increase. The solution to this engineering challenge is to build into the system some flexibility so that at least the transient loads are smoothed out. The ideal is for the winching mechanism to be able to wind and unwind so as to maintain enough tension to hoist the buoy in, but no more. Another way is to incorporate a spring' which will accommodate the difference in movement without exceeding the breaking stress of the rope, but thisspring’ will absorb a lot of energy as it compresses and this could be dangerous if it is accidentally released. But both the above will result in relative movement between boat and buoy and this increases the chance of damage as the two are almost mated, so the third approach is probably the best: Wait until it really is flat calm and only then make the attempt. Even then, it will be well worth having some flexibility in the system, this is the North Atlantic after all, so there may always be some long wavelength movement which, although not apparent to the eye, is exactly the sort of wavelength to which the AM will resFlond

ash6666 14 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II No signs of movement from the AM so I assume we can forget about this weekend. Next opportunity - some time way off in the future.

ash6666 13 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II On a slightly different tack (though I sure the AM doesn’t have to do that!) I was looking at google apps on my phone and noticed one called Weather Radar Free and had a rating of 4.8/5 so I downloaded it to have a look and it turns out it is from none other than windy.com. [link]

Flossoffa 13 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II ash6666: It has a breaking strain of about 120lb which must surely be strong enough Hopefully it will be a spoolful, as we will have to double and redouble a couple of times. That will give us a breaking strain of 960lbs and that might be enough to steer it into position, if the bouy is pumped dry and the service vessels are helping to lift the weight of the Flowlines

ash6666 13 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II I’ve still got some steel trace wire that I used for catching tope. It has a breaking strain of about 120lb which must surely be strong enough so I could lend them some of that.

Flossoffa 13 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II ash6666: I think they will want 2 or 3 days of good weather. You are probably right as they will want the window to be wider that the actual time needed to ensure that any delays are not catasFlophic

Flossoffa 13 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II ash6666: Is it even possible to buy a stronger rope? That may not be necessary, I would imagine that the bouy will be bouyant (judging by the name at least) and so more water needs to be pumped out (and air pumped in). If the resulting bouyancy is still insufficient, one or more workboats will be needed to either add permanent or temporary bouyancy to the pipelines intermediate Floats.

lawven2 13 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II @Happy_To_Learn “Sorry I’ll get my coat.” Right on, Fella. It’s COLD out there!! - LLV

ash6666 13 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II I don’t think it’s long enough after last time when they were onto the 3rd day of better weather and there is a good chance that by Saturday the chart will have changed anyway. I think they will want 2 or 3 days of good weather. Is it even possible to buy a stronger rope? The winds are W or SW all week and no real change in direction to flatten off the swell.

Happy_To_Learn 13 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II Hi Everyone, A thought occurred to me. Thinking about the ever increasing cost of all of this, I wonder if HUR are going to sell the damaged ropes, based on the principle of, “money for old rope,” lol. Sorry I’ll get my coat. All the best. HTL

Flossoffa 13 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II Flossoffa: I think it is very unlikely they will go for this weekend. Just a feeling you have, or the result of a consultation with a Floracle In other words, would you like to share the logical basis (if any) of your pronouncement so we can follow your line of Flought

Flossoffa 13 Feb 2019

Rotterdam to FOIL - PART II ash6666: I think it is very unlikely they will go for this weekend. Just a feeling you have, or the result of a consultation with a Floracle

Page